Easy DIY Pencil Skirt

Sunday, August 11, 2013



A pencil skirt is an article of clothing that looks great on everyone. I practically live in the stretchy knit kind during the summer, because they're easy to throw on, comfortable, and can be dressed up or down depending on what top, shoes, and accessories you pair them with. I started learning to sew this past winter so I am by no means experienced. I know how to do the basics. By basics I mean a straight line with a sewing machine. So when I saw this tutorial on Pinterest by Merricks Art entitled "The Easiest Pencil Skirt You'll Ever Make" my curiosity was peaked. I wasn't sure it would be that easy, but it turns out that I was way wrong. It really is the easiest pencil skirt you'll ever make. 

With my handy dandy mother-in-law by my side (that's right, I called my mother-in-law "handy dandy") I was able to whip out a custom fitted pencil skirt in less than an hour. It would have taken even less time than that, but I decided at the last minute that I wanted to add elastic to the waist (the Merricks Art tutorial does not include those instructions... this is why my mother-in-law gets nicknames such as I used above :) ). The entire skirt including fabric, thread, and elastic cost $5. I just paid $20 at Old Navy for the exact same style skirt just a month ago before I found this tutorial. Never again! If you can sort of operate a pair of scissors and sewing machine then you can make this skirt.

Hannah

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I see you got your blog updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I wouldn't have thought to pair them together like that but I like it. I would LOVE for you to share this at "That's My Style" Link Party going on TODAY on my blog. I hope to see you there! :)

    Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs